Wednesday 2 January 2013

Let's call time on the Puritans

I may as well start the year as I mean to go on.  
So, may I invite you all to raise your glasses and help unashamed hedonists to poke fun at puritans this month?
According to the original blurb from a worthy campaign’s founder:
‘Drinkuary is a quiet counter argument to Alcohol Concern’s “Dry January”. Alcohol Concern want you to not have a drink for the whole month and raise money for them whilst you do so, I don’t care one way or another if you drink or not. I do care that tax funded charities and health organisations feel compelled to tell us how to live our lives. Quite frankly I’m fed up with it, alcohol is heading down the same slippery slope that tobacco has already been forced down with health warnings in every advert and on every label. Yet still these Killjoys and Puritans can’t just let us make up our own minds, nope they have to spend more of our money lecturing us on how we’re drinking too much and having too much fun and should stop it immediately.’
Read more at http://www.drinkuary.org/.  Then, if you feel sociable, motivated and energetic enough, join in. They even have cool beer mats. Oh, and also take a look at the Cocktails in Care Homes project, which sounds just like my kind of social work.
Alternatively, you can do as I intend to do every day this year. Which is to carry on my life in a responsible, self-dependant way, paying no notice whatsoever to dull-witted wowsers and parasites on the public purse.
Unless, of course, there is a chance to mock their antics or do something which will wind them up until they explode…or just stop begging and go away.
Happy New Year, and Cheers!!

No comments: