Friday 12 December 2008

Betty Page (RIP) - America's Best Christian?

Sad little story on the BBC website today.
Betty Page, the pin-up queen, has died.
For those to whom this means nothing, you obviously didn't dabble in punky perversions in your younger days.
Betty caused outrage in her heyday with her (by modern standards) mild bondage and spanking films and photoshoots. I think I came across her (so to speak) when she was reborn as a bit of a campy gothgirl role model in the 1980's and 1990's.
I love her comment that "I never thought it was shameful. I felt normal. It's just that it was much better than pounding a typewriter eight hours a day, which gets monotonous."
Way to go, girl!
I was also intrigued by the revelation that in her later years she turned to religion. This sparked a wicked thought.
Was Betty Page the template for Betty Bowers, America's Best Christian?
Just the idea has me sniggering hysterically at the thought of uptight Baptist ladies punishing the wicked with........a certain gleam in the eye and rather more enthusiasm than is strictly necessary.
Hallelujah! (whack) Praise the Lord!! (whack) Ooo-er Missis!
Take a look at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7778963.stm for the Betty story and http://www.bettybowers.com/ to see if you agree with me.

No comments: